The Manitoba Hydro Torch Relay is designed to carry the excitement of the Games to different locations around Manitoba. The torch will follow a unique journey starting with the official lighting ceremony in Ottawa on June 6, 2017 and then travel to 11 communities around the province, as well as to Kenora, Ontario.
This year’s relay will start on June 23, 2017 in Steinbach and will continue through Kenora, Morden, Gillam/Fox Lake Cree Nation, Thompson, The Pas/Opaskwayak Cree Nation, Dauphin, Gimli, Sagkeeng/Great Falls and Brandon. The torch will then make its way through central Winnipeg, ending with a celebration at Manitoba Hydro Place on July 26, 2017.
Did you know the Canada Games Torch was renamed the Roly McLenahan Torch in 1985, in honor of the late Roly McLenahan, who was an original member of the Canada Games Council and demonstrated a lifelong commitment to youth and their participation in sport?
Torchbearers must meet the following requirements:
- Be at least 12 years of age on or before June 1, 2017
- Be a Canadian citizen or legal resident of Canada
- Be able to complete (run/walk/wheel) your assigned 200-500m segment on the assigned day
- Be prepared to participate within the 2-3 hour torchbearer experience in your community
- Be willing to travel at your own expense to the assigned community meeting point and then from the finish point of the relay
- Wear the provided torchbearer uniform for the duration of your torchbearer experience
- Consent to undertake and successfully complete a security background check
- Sign the participation waiver on or before your assigned relay day
- Agree to have your photo, profile and story published by 2017 Canada Summer Games, sponsors or media for the purpose of promoting the Manitoba Hydro Torch Relay events