Adam Joseph van Koeverden
Sports: Sprint kayaker
Born: January 29, 1982
Hometown: Oakville, Ontario
Adam van Koeverden from Oakville, Ontario burst onto the world paddling stage in 2003 winning his first medal at the World Championships with a second place finish in K-1 1000 metres. Adam rose quickly to become a dominant global force in men’s kayaking. In Athens at the 2004 Olympic Games, Adam won gold in the Men’s K-1 500 metre event and bronze in the Men’s K-1 1000 metre. Adam captured his first world championship title in 2007 in the Men’s K-1 500 metre event. At the 2008 Summer Olympic Games Adam won a silver medal in the Men’s K-1 500 metre event. Adam is one of a handful of Canadian athletes to be selected as the Flagbearer for the Canadian Olympic Team on two different occasions, the Closing Ceremonies for the 2004 Summer Olympic Games and the Opening Ceremonies for the 2008 Summer Olympic Games.
- 2010 World Championships, Bronze K-1500 event
- 2009 - World championships, Bronze K-1 1000m
- 2008 - Beijing Olympics, Silver K-1 500 (World Record)
- 2008 - Flag bearer.
- 2007 - ICF Canoe Sprint World Championships, Gold K-1 500 m and SilverK-1 1000 m.
- 2007 - World Cup circuit - Undefeated in 500m and 1000m in three competitions
- 2006 - Canadian Sprint Canoe Championships, Gold (K-1 1000 m, K-2 1000 m, K-4 1000 m, K-4 200 m, and War Canoe), and Silver (K-1 200 m and K-2 200 m).
- 2005 - ICF Canoe Sprint World Championships, Silver K-1 1000m, Bronze K-1 500m.
- 2004 - Lou Marsh Trophy, Canada's top athlete
- 2004 - Summer Olympics, Gold K-1 500 m, Bonze K-1 1000 m.
- 2003 - World Championships Champion
- 2000 - World junior marathon champion.
- 1999 - World junior championships, Bronze K-1 1000