Basketball is proudly presented by Shaw, a Premier Sponsor of the 2017 Canada Summer Games. Basketball competitions are from Saturday, July 29 - Friday, August 4, 2017 at the Canada Games Sport for Life Centre and the Duckworth Centre. Click here to see detailed basketball schedule.
Basketball is a sport with deep, historic Canadian connections. The game’s inventor, Dr. James Naismith, was born near Almonte, Ontario. A physical education teacher, Naismith invented the game in 1891 and wrote the original rulebook with 13 rules. The game was invented as an indoor game meant to be “fair for all players and not too rough”. In 2017, athletes will compete in a brand new facility, the Canada Games Sport for Life Centre, a legacy of the 2017 Canada Summer Games.
Each province and territory may enter up to 12 males and 12 females, two coaches, and one manager per team.
AB, BC, MB, NB, NL, NS, ON, QC, SK
- Must be under 17 as of December 31, 2016
- Year of Birth: 2000 or later
NU, NT, YT, PE
- Must be under 17 as of December 31, 2016, plus two (2) players under 18 as of December 31, 2016.
- Year of Birth: 2000 or later plus two (2) 1999 or later
- Dianne Norman (1987, 1989)
- Steve Nash (1993)
- Todd MacCulloch (1993)
- Philip Srubb (2009)
- Anthony Bennett (2009)