Building on the successes of past Canada Games, the 2019 Canada Winter Games will be implementing a significant Sustainability Plan that will be integrated into the operations and delivery of the Games.
Core Sustainability Themes:
- Mitigate climate change - Manage carbon or reduce impact on climate change, through attention to greenhouse gas emissions outputs and sourcing.
- Local Food Sourcing - Minimize packaging and transport of food sources from distances greater than 160 kilometres from Red Deer.
- Integrated Social and Community Planning - Working with the City of Red Deer and other community agencies we will work to strengthen the community, enhance participation and reduce the impact the Games might have on the quality of life for individuals, families and the community.
- Build or adapt facilities to green standards - Meet green buildings standards, incorporate sustainable land-use and smart growth principles.
- Manage water use - Minimize water waste and bottled water use.
- Minimize/eliminate waste - Establish a zero waste to landfill program for the Games.